The New York City Football Club won it’s third match in 9 days and propelled themselves 1 point behind the Philadelphia Union in the East with a 1-0 win over a rested New York Red Bull club. On a somewhat subdued match (for an NYCFC/RBA Derby) the Gents in Blue out shot RBA 9 to 4 on goal and 19 to 14 overall; however without a single corner kick to Red Bull’s 8.
With struggles for the team in the first half NYCFC were far more in control in the second half as Taty Castellanos picked up his league leading 13th goal of the year on a well timed drop kick redirect from a overhead pass outside the box by Santiago Rodriguez in the 69th minute. Additionally goalkeeper Sean Johnson was forced to pick up 4 saves on route to his own league leading 10th clean sheet of the season.
1495 Sports is proud to bring the following Post Match Press Conference video featuring thoughts from Defender Thiago Martins
Coach Nick Cushing had few issues with the match “We were motivated, we were hungry today, to get the win. I think in previous games, their style has been more effective, and today we wanted to make sure that we had a good squad, we had a good team, and [that] we all had a really clear vision of how we wanted to play the game. I thought we applied that today. The pleasing thing for me as a coach is the players apply themselves with a hundred percent focus and a hundred percent of commitment, and when we do that, we get results.”
Fans wanting to hear more from Coach Cushing can do so by clicking here:
Very quietly this win extends the team’s unbeaten streak to 5 matches after coming out of the International Break going 0-2-1. Next up for the team is a small break, followed by a home match on Saturday July 23 against 9th place Inter Miami.
1) Taty Castellanos’s goal was his 50th of his NYCFC career, including other competitions as well. He’s still well behind David Villa who sits at 80 in 126 matches. With every goal Castellanos continues to fuel speculation that every goal could be his last in New York as the team continues to field offers from Europe.
2) With the win NYCFC still has a long way to go in the Hudson River Derby, now going 7-13-3 in 23 matches. This match also snapped a three match unbeaten streak by RBA.
3) Miami has struggled on the road this season, going 1-6-2 on the road. With their win at home over Charlotte on July 16, snapping a 3 game winless streak.
4) At 10 Clean sheets, Sean Johnson sits in first in the league. The record for most clean sheets in MLS history is 16 by Tony Meola back in 2000.
5) NYCFC has 39 goals this season in 20 matches, best in the East (by 5 goals) while third in the whole of MLS. On the other hand Miami has struggled to put the ball in the net, scoring just 22 which is tied for 3rd worst in the entire league.
For more information on New York City FC fans are encouraged to click on the link seen here: