Chicago Sky guard Allie Quigley, a two-time winner of the WNBA MTN DEW 3-Point Contest, headlines the list of four players who will vie for the title of the league’s best three-point shooter when the MTN DEW 3-Point Contest tips off at Michelob ULTRA Arena at Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino in Las Vegas on Wednesday, July 14.
Quigley, who won the event at the 2018 All-Star Game in Minneapolis and the 2017 All-Star Game in Seattle, will be joined in this year’s field by Connecticut Sun forward Jonquel Jones, Seattle Storm guard Jewell Loyd, and New York Liberty guard Sami Whitcomb. This marks the fourth 3-Point contest for Quigley, who also participated in 2019. Jones, Loyd, and Whitcomb are first-time participants.
The MTN DEW 3-Point Contest will take place live on ESPN during halftime of the AT&T WNBA All-Star 2021 (7 p.m. ET).
Rules for the MTN DEW 3-Point Contest are as follows:
- Four players will compete in a two-round, timed shooting competition.
- Ball racks are positioned at five main shooting locations around the three-point arc.
o Four of the racks contain four official WNBA game balls and one “money” ball.
o The WNBA game balls are worth one point. The “money” ball is worth two points.
o For each rack, the “money” ball can only be shot after the four WNBA game balls are shot.
- The fifth rack will be a special “all money ball” rack. Each competitor will decide the spot for this rack to be placed at one of the five main shooting locations. Every ball on this rack is worth two points.
- Two ball pedestals are positioned at deep shot locations called “THE DEW ZONE™”, one between racks 2 and 3 and the other between racks 3 and 4. (See attached graphic for reference.)
o Each ball pedestal holds a special ball known as the “3-Ball.”
o Shots made with the “3-Ball” are worth 3 points.
- Players must exhaust the ball racks and pedestals in competition order before moving on to the next shooting location.
- Players may not start on or over the three-point line while shooting. The basket will not count if the line is violated. For the two additional deep shots, the player must begin their shooting motion with at least one foot in the “THE DEW ZONE” designated by a floor decal.
- INSTANT REPLAY – At the discretion of the referee, instant replay may be utilized for clarification of rules compliance.
- Each competitor has 70-seconds(1:10) to shoot as many of the 27 balls as they can.
- Order of competition will be determined by random drawing.
- The two players with the highest scores advance to the Final Round.
FIRST ROUND TIEBREAKER
- In the event of a tie to determine the Final Round participants, a 30-secondtiebreaker will take place using the same competition format described above. If necessary, this process will be repeated until the tie is broken.
- Two players will compete in the Final Round.
- The competition order for the Final Round will be determined by the inverse order of First Round scores (e.g., the player with the lowest score in the First Round among the players who advanced shoots first in the Final Round).
FINAL ROUND TIEBREAKER
- In the event of a tie to determine the Champion, a full 70-second(1:10) tiebreaker will take place. If necessary, this process will be repeated until the tie is broken.
For information on tickets to AT&T WNBA All-Star and the MTN DEW 3-Point Contest, visit wnba.com/allstar.
Below is the roster for the MTN DEW 3-Point Contest. For 2021, the contest is modified as to number of players participating and there will be no Skills Challenge due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. Information on the charities each is competing for will be announced at a later date.
For more information on the WNBA fans are encouraged to click on the link seen here: