The St. John’s men’s basketball team goes for its fourth-straight win and looks to sweep the season series with Marquette on Wednesday in Milwaukee. FOX Sports 1 will carry the national telecast from the BMO Harris Bradley Center with announcers Brian Anderson and Tarik Turner calling the action. Tip-off is slated for 9 p.m. eastern.
St. John’s (20-9, 9-7) is coming off an 11-point victory over Georgetown on Saturday at Madison Square Garden to reach the 20-win plateau for the second-straight year and third time during the Steve Lavin Era. Phil Greene IV (26) and Sir’Dominic Pointer (24) combined for 50 of the team’s 81 points in career performances for the senior duo. The Red Storm led for all but two minutes in arguably the team’s top performance of the season.
Winning six of the last seven contests, the Johnnies have secured a spot in the top half of the BIG EAST standings. St. John’s will play its final two regular-season contests on the road before returning to Madison Square Garden for the BIG EAST Tournament next week.
The Red Storm looks for its second win in the last three road games against a hungry Marquette (11-17, 3-13) team that took St. John’s to the wire in their first meeting on Jan. 21. Pointer led the Red Storm with 15 points, 12 rebounds, six blocks and six assists against the Golden Eagles to pick up the first of seven straight home wins for St. John’s.
St. John’s radio broadcast will air on 570 AM (WMCA) with play-by-play announcer John Minko. The full H.D. video broadcast is also available via FOX Sports Go app and FOXSportsGo.com.
Things To Know
- St. John’s is riding a three-game win streak which includes double-digit victories over Seton Hall and Georgetown. The three victories came within an eight-day stretch where the Red Storm averaged 74.7 points shooting 46.0 percent (80-of-74) from the field and 42.6 percent (23-of-64) from 3-point range. Sir’Dominic Pointer was the team’s high scorer with 21.7 points (60.0 FG pct) and Phil Greene IV averaged 17.0 per game (57.9 3FG pct). Rysheed Jordan has recorded 14.3 points and averaged a team-high 5.0 assists.
- St. John’s has reached the 20-win plateau in back-to-back years for the first time since 1998-99 and 1999-2000. It marks the ninth time Steve Lavin has recorded 20 wins in his 11 full seasons as a head coach. He is the first St. John’s head coach since Hall of Famer Lou Carnesecca to notch three 20-win seasons in Queens.
- Sir’Dominic Pointer was named BIG EAST Player of the Week on Monday after being selected to the conference’s honor roll for five-straight weeks. He filled the stat sheet with 21.5 points, 8.0 rebounds, 4.0 blocks, 2.5 assists, 2.5 steals and shot 57.1 percent in wins over Xavier and Georgetown. He is the second St. John’s player to win the award this season joining D’Angelo Harrison, who was named BIG EAST Player of the Week on Dec. 8 and Dec. 15.
- St. John’s is second in the BIG EAST averaging 72.4 points and a 38.3 3-point field goal percentage in conference games. The Red Storm also ranks third in field goal shooting (44.9 pct). The Johnnies are 10-0 when scoring 75 points or more this season.
- St. John’s is 15-1 when holding teams below the 40.0 percent shooting mark. During its recent three-game win streak, the Red Storm kept its opponents to a 38.1 field goal shooting percentage and 35.9 percent from 3-point range.
- D’Angelo Harrison has climbed to 18th on the BIG EAST’s career scoring list with 1,142 points in conference games. He is 10 points behind St. John’s star Zendon Hamilton who is 15th on the list (1,152) and 23 from St. John’s Hall of Famer the late Malik Sealy (1,165) with the 14th highest total in conference history. Harrison’s 148 3-pointers in BIG EAST games are the 17th-most all-time and he is six away from breaking the top-15.
About the Series
- St. John’s and Marquette will meet for the 25th time in series history.
- The Red Storm won the last three meetings with Marquette and looks to sweep the regular-season series for the second-straight year. St. John’s earned a 91-90 double-overtime victory against the Golden Eagles last year in Miwaukee on March 8, 2014. D’Angelo Harrison, Rysheed Jordan and JaKarr Sampson each had 20 points.
- St. John’s is 4-2 against Marquette during the Steve Lavin Era. Sir’Dominic Pointer had a double-double (15 points, 12 rebounds) and Rysheed Jordan recorded 15 points en route to a 60-57 victory over Marquette in January at Madison Square Garden.
For more information on the St. John’s Men’s Basketball team fans are encouraged to click on the link seen here: