The St. John’s men’s basketball team rides a two-game win streak into the Cintas Center on Saturday where the Red Storm will square off with Xavier at 12:30 p.m. on FOX. Joe Davis and Bob Wenzel will call the action for the national telecast. St. John’s radio team of John Minko and Brandon Tierney can be heard on 970-AM WNYM.
St. John’s (16-8, 5-6) has its best record through 24 games in 15 years after picking up an 86-78 victory over DePaul on Wednesday at Carnesecca Arena. The Red Storm shot a sweltering 51.9 percent (27-of-52) from the field and 57.1 percent (8-of-14) from 3-point range en route to its third win in four games.
The Red Storm’s offense was clicking on all cylinders in its recent wins over Creighton and DePaul. St. John’s averaged 85.0 points per game and converted 54.2 percent of its field goal attempts during the two game stretch. D’Angelo Harrison produced back-to-back double-doubles (27.0 points, 10.0 rebounds), while Rysheed Jordan also elevated his scoring average to 20.0 points going with 4.0 assists per game.
St. John’s goes for its third straight BIG EAST win against a Xavier squad that leads the conference in scoring offense (76.7 points) and field goal shooting percentage (48.3 pct). Xavier (16-9, 7-6) enters the contest winning 12 of 13 games at the Cintas Center this season.
Things To Know
St. John’s used its second highest scoring performance of the season Wednesday versus DePaul to earn its 16th win. It is the most victories for the program through 24 games in 15 years. The Red Storm scored 86 points and shot 57.1 percent from beyond the arc, marking the third game in the last five contests St. John’s shot over 55 percent from downtown. St. John’s is 5-0 when reaching the 80-point plateau this season.
· St. John’s began the season with an 11-1 record marking the program’s best start since 1985-86. It also topped the chart for Steve Lavin’s 11-year career as a head coach. The Red Storm won seven straight games in December capped with its largest victory of the season defeating Tulane by 25 points on Dec. 28 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn. It was the longest win streak for the program since 1999-2000 when St. John’s reeled off eight consecutive victories as part of a 25-win campaign.
· St. John’s is coming off its third win in four games as the Red Storm climbed another spot in the BIG EAST standings with an 86-78 victory over DePaul on Wednesday at Carnesecca Arena. Playing without injured center Chris Obekpa, four players combined for 81 of the team’s 86 points (Harrison 33, Phil Greene IV 18, Sir’Dominic Pointer 15, Jordan 15). The Red Storm dominated the boards outrebounding DePaul 43-27.
· The Red Storm leads the BIG EAST with a 72.6 scoring average and shooting 38.1 percent (69-of-181) from 3-point territory in conference play. St. John’s is second in the league with a 45.0 field goal shooting percentage through 11 BIG EAST contests.
· The Red Storm’s strength of schedule is rated No. 35 in the nation according to RPIRatings.com on Feb. 12. St. John’s went 11-2 (.846) against non-conference opponents, which is the program’s best mark since going 10-1 (.909) in 1990-91. The BIG EAST has the second highest RPI in the nation and compiled a 93-30 (.756) record against out-of-conference competition. St. John’s contributed to the league’s non-conference success with victories over Minnesota, Saint Mary’s, Long Beach State and Syracuse. All four teams are rated in the top-100 of the RPI. The Red Storm’s 69-57 victory over the Orange on Dec. 6 was the program’s first win at the Carrier Dome in 15 years.
About the Series
· St. John’s and Xavier will meet for the fourth time in series history.
· The Red Storm has dropped two of three contests to the Musketeers.
· St. John’s came up short in its last trip to the Cintas Center on Dec. 31, 2013. The Red Storm fell 70-60, despite D’Angelo Harrison’s 21 point effort (4-of-5 3FG).
For more information on the St. John’s Men’s Basketball team fans are encouraged to click on the link seen here: