The United States Men’s National Team came up short on Saturday against the Netherlands, falling 3-1 at Khalifa International Stadium in Al Rayyan, Qatar. This ended the US run at the 2022 FIFA World Cup in the first round of the knockout phase of the tournament and sent the Dutch team onto the Quarterfinals.
The Dutch jumped out early in the 10th minute when Denzel Dumfries sent a cross from the right corner over to Memphis Depay at the top of the box, sending a shot past US goalie Matt Turner into the bottom left corner of the net. The Americans struggled on the offensive end for the duration of the game and had even more difficulty on the defensive side countering the Netherlands slow, deliberate ball control style of play after they took the lead.
The Americans’ best chance came in the 43rd minute when Timothy Weah took a hard shot from long range, but Dutch goalie Andries Nuppert was able to make a diving save to preserve the lead. The Dutch came back down the other end a few minutes later in stoppage time when Dumfries sent another cross from the right side of the box to find Daley Blind in the center of the box to fire a shot past Turner to go into halftime leading 2-0.
In the second half the US showed a brief flash of life after bringing in a few substitutions for fresh legs. The Americans broke the shutout in the 76th minute when a Christian Pulisic cross from the right side of the box caught Haji Wright’s foot at a weird angle sending the ball on an upward trajectory over Nuppert’s head into the left side of the net bringing the score to 2-1. Hopes were quickly extinguished for the Americans a few minutes later in the 81st minute when Daley Blind sent a high arcing pass from the left side over the pack to Dumfries on the right side of the box who fired a quick shot which Turner had no chance to save, bringing the final tally to 3-1.
News and notes:
- US striker Josh Sargent missed the game after sustaining an ankle injury in the previous match against Iran on Tuesday.
- This was the third consecutive World Cup appearance for the USMNT ending in the Round of 16. The US lost to Ghana in 2010 and Belgium in 2014.
- The US will co-host the next FIFA World Cup in 2026 alongside Canada and Mexico.
- Denzel Dumfries helped on all three Dutch goals, assisting on the first two goals and scoring the third.
- Memphis Depay’s goal was his 43rd international for the Netherlands, second place all-time in Dutch history.
- The Netherlands plays Argentina in the Quarterfinal round on Friday December 9 at 2pm on Fox and Telemundo. Argentina defeated Australia 2-1 in their Round of 16 match.
For more information on the U.S. Soccer team fans are encouraged to click on the link seen here: