The New York City Football Club’s 2022 playoff run came to an end last night with 3-1 loss at Subaru Park to the Philadelphia Union. Playing with a lineup that was missing both Talles Magno and defender Maxime Chanot to injury NYCFC conceded three goals in the second half in 12 minutes and was on the losing end of the Eastern Conference Finals.
The Philadelphia Union had been salivating over this match for a full year. After losing at home in last year’s Eastern Conference Finals with 11 players on Covid protocol Doop-Nation played with a vengeance last night that put the Gents in Blue on their heels for much of the match however were not the team scoring first.
1495 Sports is proud to bring the following Post Game Press Conference video featuring thoughts from Sean Johnson:
At 57’ Maxi Moralez fired a quick shot from outside the box into the left corner past goalkeeper Andre Blake for the 1-0 lead. However the lead wouldn’t last long as 8 minutes later Julian Carranza would place a shot to the bottom left corner followed immediately two minutes later by Daniel Gazdag from close range and just like that, NYCFC went from up one to down one. However 9 minutes later proved to be the back breaker as the Union’s Cory Burke took a left footed shot to the top left corner for a Union 3-1 lead. 3 goals, 12 minutes and from there it was just a matter of running out the clock.
In the end, the better team won. A team that spent a full year believing that their trip to the finals was robbed from them a year ago. And now, that team travels to Los Angeles to visit the best in the West, LAFC in the MLS final. Gonna be a good one.
- With the team’s lone goal, Maxi Moralez extends his club record for most playoff goals to 5, as well as having goals in all three playoff matches this season.
- With the win, the Union swept all theee matches against the Cityzens, outscoring NYCFC 7-2.
- With their win the Union travel west to Banc of California Stadium to face LAFC. In four matches against LAFC Doop is 0-1-3, including a 2-2 tie earlier this year.
- The loss not only ended the club’s season, but also ended the team’s 6 game winning streak, dating back to the Campeones Cup in mid September.
- A recent poll on the NYCFC subreddit voted in favor of keeping Nick Cushing as head coach, with 79% voting to keep him on next season.
For more information on New York City FC fans are encouraged to click on the link seen here: