The New York City Football Club set up a much anticipated rematch against the Philadelphia Union next week at Subaru Park in the MLS Eastern Conference Finals, with a 3-1 victory north of the border Sunday against 2nd ranked CF Montreal. It took under 6 minutes but Maxi Moralez opened the scoring nearly immediately with a right foot rebound from the center of the box, hugely deflating the impassioned Montreal fanbase of 19,619.
For the most part NYCFC never allowed Montreal to get in deep and challenge goalkeeper Sean Johnson while nearing the end of the first half. Heber had himself a wonderful opportunity at the 45′ mark, as the forward found a right footed shot from the center of the box, doubling the lead going into halftime and pushing Montreal to the brink. “That goal was very important for us, especially before half time. For those moments Montreal was pressing us and controlling the game. We hit them on the counterattack. Santiago [Rodriguez] played me an amazing ball, and my finish was great too.”
To see more of the thoughts from Heber fans are encouraged to click on the video seen below
The second half saw the scoring split between the two clubs, first with a Talles Magno penalty kick in the 61st minute to the left side of the box all but putting the match away at 3-0. Montreal did pick up a too little too late goal at 85′ with a header by Djordje Mihailovic pulling to an eventual 3-1 final.
This sets up a match on October 30th that is one year in the making. After the Philadelphia Union lost in the Eastern Conference Finals at home a year ago (a match where 12 players were out due to Covid protocols) Doop-Nation has been aching for a chance like this. Many were convinced that the team had their win pulled away from them and had situations been different, the Union would have faced Portland in the Finals. NYCFC has fired off 5 straight wins in MLS (not including the Campeones Cup Finals win just prior) so both teams are going to be primed for this match.
1) CF Montreal has a lot to be proud of this season. After placing as high as 7th once since 2017 Winifried Nancy’s club picked up 63 points and 2nd place in the East, both team bests.
2) With his first half goal Heber now has 3 goals in his last 3 matches, giving him 10 for the entire season.
3) With his goal in the 6th minute, Maxi Moralez became NYCFC’s top goal scorer in the playoffs with 4, surpassing both David Villa and Taty Castellanos.
4) Maxime Chanot had to be pulled early due to injury and his status is currently unclear. He was seen on the sidelines with his left hamstring wrapped up so we’ll know more in the coming days.
5) Santiago Rodriguez has three assists so far in the playoffs including his setup for Heber’s goal at 45.
For more information on New York City FC fans are encouraged to click on the link seen here: