The New York City Football Club went ahead early and held on for a 2-1 win on the road against Atlanta United, but injuries during the match have raised questions going into their playoff match next week against Inter Miami. Defender Tayvon Gray sustained a foot injury while Winger Talles Magno injured his left shoulder and Midfielder Alfredo Morales ended up with calf pain, the severity of all three being unknown but forced Coach Nick Cushing to do two of his three substitutions before the first half was in the books.
1495 Sports is proud to bring the following Post Match Press Conference video featuring thoughts from Coach Cushing:
Going into the season finale match against Atlanta United the club needed at least a tie to secure a spot ahead of the New York Red Bulls for 3rd overall. The Boys in Blue got the scoring started early from MOTM Gabriel Pereira on a left footed shot to the center of the goal. From there it was a matter of preserving the lead in a stadium they had never won, against a club with one win this season when giving up the first goal. Per Nick Cushing, “I think you really saw our ability to dominate the ball in this system and play the style of football that our Club and our organization really values, and it’s just grown from there.”
NYCFC fans are also encouraged to check out the following Post Match video featuring thoughts from midfielder Nicolas Acevedo:
Heber got the scoring going in the second half at the 60’ mark as Heber planted a shot to the bottom right corner for a short 2-0 lead. That score would be cut in half 7 minutes later by a United goal by Left Back Andrew Gutman who found the back of the cage.
Atlanta kept the pressure on for much of the second half requiring goalkeeper Sean Johnson to make repeated stops, including a sparkling dive to his right late to deny Gutman a second and tipping a Josef Martinez header over the crossbar to preserve the lead.
In the end, the 2-1 lead held and NYCFC had its first win in Atlanta and a first round playoff match at home (wherever that may be) against Inter Miami on Monday October 17.
- Sean Johnson ended with 14 clean sheets on the season, one behind Philadelphia’s Andre Blake and two behind the all time record of 16 held by Tony Meola. However this was a personal record for Johnson and a team record as well.
- NYCFC ends the season on a hot streak, going 4-0-0 dating back to the Campeones Cup win on September 14.
- With his assist, Talles Magno became the fourth player in team history with double digit assists in a season. Additionally it was the first time in club history that the team had two players with 10 or more assists, joining Santiago Rodríguez’s 10 as well.
- The playoff match will be held at “home” at Red Bull Arena on October 17. NYCFC is currently 5-1-0 against Inter Miami in their history, outscoring the Herons 13-6 in their history, however losing their most recent match against the club, 3-2 on the road back on August 13.
- The Gents in Blue ends the season with 55 points, going 16-11-7 on the year, 4 points higher than they finished last year.
For more information on NYCFC fans are encouraged to click on the link seen here: