The New York Liberty recently announced their 2021 roster following the conclusion of the team’s training camp.
* Contracts are temporarily suspended. Will not be active for May 14 game against Indiana due to WNBA health & safety protocols.
The Liberty will return seven players from the 2020 roster, including Layshia Clarendon, Sabrina Ionescu, Jazmine Jones, Leaonna Odom, Kylee Shook, Kiah Stokes and Jocelyn Willoughby (out for season).
The 2021 Liberty will welcome veterans Betnijah Laney, Natasha Howard and Sami Whitcomb. The team will also feature 2021 draftees Michaela Onyenwere (No. 6 overall selection) and DiDi Richards (No. 17 overall selection).
New York’s coaching staff is led by second-year head coach, Walt Hopkins. Returning to the staff are assistant coaches Shelley Patterson and Dustin Gray, while first-year assistant coach and former WNBA player, Jacki Gemelos, will round out the Liberty’s staff.
In addition, the New York Liberty have announced their 2021 Medical Staff, in partnership with the team’s official hospital and medical provider, Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS).
- Riley J. Williams III, MD, Sports Medicine Surgeon, Team Medical Director
- A. Holly Johnson, MD, Foot and Ankle Surgeon, Team Physician
- James N. Robinson, MD, Sports Medicine Physician, Team Physician
- Benedict Nwachukwu, MD, MBA, Sports Medicine Surgeon, Team Physician
The WNBA’s 25th Anniversary season tips off on May 14 at 7 p.m., when the New York Liberty host the Indiana Fever to begin their inaugural season at Barclays Center; the game will be aired on YES Network and the YES App.
For more information on the New York Liberty fans are encouraged to click on the link seen here: