Captain David Villa scored his first ever NYCFC hat-trick, to help lead the team to their first ever series victory over the New York Red Bulls in Major League Soccer action on 8/6.
It was an intense Hudson River Derby in front of a sold out Yankee Stadium that saw great opportunities from both clubs, in the end though it wound up that Villa and Bradley Wright-Phillips, who both always seem to find a way to score in these big game situations -once again shined brightest on the bigest of stages. Villa was able to cap the game with a penalty kick at the 75th minute.
One of the trends throughout the night was not only the physical play by both clubs, but also the passion seen by both fan bases as the popularity of the Derby grows with each passing year.
For NYCFC they saw the return of Khiry Shelton at the 57th minute to help with his physical style of play. This will be something to watch for and maybe one of the keys for the team as they go on throughout the season.
Interesting Notes, Stats and Milestones of the game:
- This was the first game in NYCFC history with the Video Review system implemented
- NYCFC have clinched a seasonal series against the Red Bulls for the first time (2-0-0 with one to play)
- NYCFC have won three of the last four Hudson River Derby matches
- David Villa scored his first hat-trick for NYCFC
- David Villa scored his 15th, 16th and 17th goals of the season and his second, third and fourth against the Red Bulls
- Khiry Shelton came on as a substitute for his first appearance in four months
- NYCFC are now 12-7-4 for the 2017 season
- Jonathan Lewis made his second start for NYCFC
- Maxi Moralez received a yellow card and so will be suspended for the game at LA Galaxy next Saturday
- Bradley Wright-Phillips has scored ten goals against NYCFC
New York City FC will return back to Yankee Stadium on August 20, when they take on the New England Revolution in a match set for 6:00 p.m.
1495 Sports is proud to bring the following photo gallery from the game:
Fans are also encourageed to check out the following Post-Match Press Conference:
Head Coach Patirck Viera
For more information on NYCFC and for tickets fans are encouraged to click on the link seen here: