With the 2014 New York-Penn League season in the rear-view mirror and the cold, unwelcoming winter weather approaching, the Staten Island Yankees announce their 2015 slate of games, beginning with the renewal of the Battle of the Boroughs against the Brooklyn Cyclones on Friday, June 19. The team will host its first full series starting on June 28 against reigning NYPL Champion State College Spikes.
Opening Day in the NYPL is scheduled six days later than the 2014 date of June 13 as this year’s regular season schedule will carry on through the first week of September. The Baby Bombers played their season finale at home on Sept. 1, allowing for only one home game to be played in the month, compared to five home games in September of 2015. The roughly one week shift in the NYPL schedule is not the only change for 2015. Here’s some other notes regarding 2015:
– The Battle of the Boroughs will consist of 12 head-to-head match ups between Staten Island and Brooklyn, making each game a little more meaningful.
– For the first time, the Baby Bombers will play a game in the state of West Virginia as the Pittsburgh Pirates affiliate in Jamestown, New York, is relocating to Morgantown, taking the name the West Virginia Black Bears.
– The Baby Bombers will travel to seven states during the regular season. The team will not play any games in Pennsylvania, because both Pennsylvania-based teams, Williamsport and State College, travel to Staten Island.
– Out of 76 regular season games, Staten Island will play 53 of those games in the state of New York.
– Love watching baseball on Sunday afternoons? Sunday is the most common day for home games in Staten Island as the Baby Bombers play eight home games on Sunday.
Games by team
- Aberdeen IronBirds (Baltimore Orioles): 14
- Brooklyn Cyclones (New York Mets): 12
- Hudson Valley (Tampa Bay Rays): 9
- Connecticut (Detriot Tigers): 6
- Tri-City ValleyCats (Houston Astros): 6
- Lowell Spinners (Boston Red Sox): 6
- Vermont Lake Monsters (Oakland Athletics): 5
- State College Spikes (St. Louis Cardinals): 3
- Auburn Doubledays (Washington Nationals): 3
- Mahoning Valley Scrappers (Cleveland Indians): 3
- West Virginia Black Bears (Pittsburgh Pirates): 3
- Williamsport Crosscutters (Philadelphia Phillies): 3
- Batavia Muckdogs (Milwaukee Brewers): 3
Games by division
- McNamara (Aberdeen, Brooklyn, Hudson Valley): 35
- Stedler (Connecticut, Lowell, Tri-City, Vermont): 23
- Pinckney (State College, Auburn, Mahoning Valley, West Virginia, Williamsport, Batavia): 18
Games by state
- New York (Staten Island, Brooklyn, Hudson Valley, Auburn, Tri-City, Batavia): 53
- Maryland (Aberdeen): 8
- Connecticut (Connecticut): 3
- Massachusetts (Lowell): 3
- Ohio (Mahoning Valley): 3
- West Virginia (West Virginia): 3
- Vermont (Vermont): 3
Home games by day
- Sunday: 8
- Monday: 6
- Tuesday: 4
- Wednesday: 5
- Thursday: 4
- Friday: 6
- Saturday: 5
Home games by month (home games)
- June: 5
- July: 12
- August: 16
- September: 5
For more information on the Staten Island Yankees fans are encouraged to click here: